Desaparecidos with Birthday Suits at First Ave, 8/28/13




Birthday Suits
I try to write about the shows that I go to. Rock concerts are one of my favorite things, but they are fleeting experiences, and it's easy to forget the little magics that make them what they are. I failed to blog about this show for too long, and I fear I have lost some details. Here goes anyway.

Birthday Suits opened. They were a strange, two piece band from the Twin Cities -- a gritty, loud guitar, and a long-haired, head-banging drummer who was fond of theatrics. At one point, he was playing with fistfuls of drumsticks in each hand. During one song, he tied a harmonica to his head with coils and coils of pink surveying tape. The lyrics were incomprehensible, and the music was not my favorite, but there was something really captivating about this band. There are worse ways to open the
show than with a trainwreck.

Desaparecidos: Conor Oberst, Landon Hedges, and Matt Baum
Desaparecidos released one album in 2002 and then broke up. They played a reunion show at the Concert for Equality in the summer of 2010, and I drove to Omaha with some friends to see it. When, last year, they kicked off a short tour in Minneapolis, I went. A few live shows was really all I was hoping for, but then they started to release new music. Over the last several months, they've released three 7" records -- 6 new tracks! At this most recent show, the band announced they'd spent the last week in Battle Lake, Minnesota, hanging out and writing four new songs. They didn't play any of them (they weren't "tight" yet) but I'm excited to hear them soon.

Desaparecidos (L to R): Conor Oberst, Landon Hedges,
Matt Baum, and Denver Dalley
The band is fronted by Conor Oberst, whose on-stage politics will be familiar to Bright Eyes fans. Where Bright Eyes shows are occasionally an opportunity for Conor to express his political views in front of an audience, Desaparecidos is all about politics. It has all the anger of "Let's Not Shit Ourselves (To Love and To Be Loved)" in every song. In concert, it's loud and energetic. People mosh, and Denver Dalley shakes his majestic hair around like some kind of rock god. It's a good time.

The band played all of their new releases, and lots off of their one full length from 2002. Here's the setlist:

The Left is Right
Denver Dalley's epic hair.
The Underground Man
The Happiest Place on Earth
Manana
Financial Planning
Mall of America
Backsell
Man and Wife, the Latter (Damaged Goods)
Damaged Goods
Te Amo Camila Vallejo
Survival of the Fittest / It's a Jungle Out There
$$$
Greater Omaha
___

MariKKKopa
Anonymous
Hole in One




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year