September, or Hemispheres Are Weird

I used to dread September because it was truly the end of summer, academically but especially seasonally. September was like staring at an oncoming train and knowing it was going to hit me. I resented living in Minnesota, where I cringed to think of several upcoming months of not spending a second longer outside than I had to. Planning my bus trips around ensuring there was no way I'd have a missed connection in a place that left me exposed to the cold and the wind. Darkness when I woke, and darkness when I got home from work. Winter-induced asthma and dry skin were a constant irritation.

My social network still largely consists of North Americans. As they publicly lament the end of the summer, Western Australia is in the full bloom of spring, which apparently arrived early this year. Flowers and trees are blooming and the weather is beautiful. Yesterday it hit 90F for the first time, but the highs have been in the low 70s all week otherwise. The arrival of fall in the northern hemisphere is welcome, now that everything is stood on its head.

Virtually every time I walked outside all winter in Perth I felt relief. The worst that can be said about my first winter here was that it was sort of chilly and wet. It would be marvelous to live in a place like this all the time, where people complain about "freezing" cold in the morning and are surfing and sunbathing by the afternoon.

Where we end up next is uncertain. Il faut profiter, hein?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year