What I Read This Year

I've been accustomed in my adulthood to reading between 40 and 60 novels a year -- almost entirely science fiction and fantasy. But this year, I spent virtually all of my free time trying to learn Cherokee. It used up all the time an energy I might usually spend on fiction. The books I managed to read this year were largely in support of my language learning, and uncharacteristically and disproportionately skewed toward non-fiction. Here's the list:

Cherokee related:

Original Teachings: Designed to Stand as One: Early Keetowah Teachings and Traditions by Crosslin Fields Smith

Think Cherokee: A Cherokee Language Student Reference by JW Webster

Cherokee Reference Grammar by Brad Montgomery-Anderson

Cherokee Earth Dwellers: Stories and Teachings of the Natural World by Christopher B. Teuton

A Lifetime of Healing by Crosslin Fields Smith

Journeying into Cherokee: Help and Encouragement for Learning the Cherokee Language by Ed Fields and Mary Rae


Other Non-Fiction:

The Frogs and Toads of North America: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Identification, Behavior, and Calls by Lange Elliott

Origin: A Genetic History of the Americas by Jennifer Raff

Measuring Behavior by Melissa Bateson

How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


Fiction:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Babel, or the Necessity of Violence: An Arcane History of the Oxford Translators' Revolution by R.F. Kuang

Time Was by Ian McDonald

Moths by Jane Hennigan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

Modest Mouse and Gogol Bordello at Breese Stevens Field, Madison, WI, 9/30/17

Arcade Fire with the Breeders at the Xcel Energy Center, 10/29/17