Visa
I went to Houston Tuesday night, to prepare for my visa meeting on Wednesday morning. The flight was uneventful but very pleasant. We were at 9,500 on the way down there, among beautiful puffy white cumulus clouds. My favorite way to fly.
We landed and took a cab to the hotel. We had dinner at a seafood place called Willie G's, which was tasty.
The next morning we walked from the hotel to the consulate and I waited for my meeting while my parents went back to the hotel. The consulate was about an hour behind, and it was chaotic in that the other applicants didn't seem to have inquired about what documents they would need beforehand. There was a lot of having spouses fax information and calling of employers and running out to have passport photos taken, all of which was very disruptive, since whenever anyone would come back with an additional document the staff would interrupt their interaction with the person they were working with to talk to the person who had come unprepared. It was a little frustrating, but I went in expecting it, so I was patient and read the Wheel of Time.
The only thing I was missing was proof of insurance that the consulate website had not mentioned as a requirement. We faxed them something that afternoon, which I hope is sufficient. I was trying to call the consulate today to make sure that they had received the fax, that the document was proof enough, and that my visa would in fact be mailed this coming week. Inconveniently enough, the consulate has listed no phone number except one that says "in case of emergency, you may call" next to it. I don't yet have an emergency, and would rather not risk pulling the mountain of bureaucratic spite down on my head, so I'm going to wait a while.
The trip back was much sadder. We received a call after the preflight and before starting the engine that the water in the pond had pumped itself out (the result of a broken pipe or seal) and that the fish in the back yard had all perished.
It was depressing news in itself. I know my parents were planning on taking the fish with them to the new house, and I was looking forward to seeing them in their new environment. It'll be a strange world to come home to, with a new house, a new car, and a year of missed stories.
We landed and took a cab to the hotel. We had dinner at a seafood place called Willie G's, which was tasty.
The next morning we walked from the hotel to the consulate and I waited for my meeting while my parents went back to the hotel. The consulate was about an hour behind, and it was chaotic in that the other applicants didn't seem to have inquired about what documents they would need beforehand. There was a lot of having spouses fax information and calling of employers and running out to have passport photos taken, all of which was very disruptive, since whenever anyone would come back with an additional document the staff would interrupt their interaction with the person they were working with to talk to the person who had come unprepared. It was a little frustrating, but I went in expecting it, so I was patient and read the Wheel of Time.
The only thing I was missing was proof of insurance that the consulate website had not mentioned as a requirement. We faxed them something that afternoon, which I hope is sufficient. I was trying to call the consulate today to make sure that they had received the fax, that the document was proof enough, and that my visa would in fact be mailed this coming week. Inconveniently enough, the consulate has listed no phone number except one that says "in case of emergency, you may call" next to it. I don't yet have an emergency, and would rather not risk pulling the mountain of bureaucratic spite down on my head, so I'm going to wait a while.
The trip back was much sadder. We received a call after the preflight and before starting the engine that the water in the pond had pumped itself out (the result of a broken pipe or seal) and that the fish in the back yard had all perished.
It was depressing news in itself. I know my parents were planning on taking the fish with them to the new house, and I was looking forward to seeing them in their new environment. It'll be a strange world to come home to, with a new house, a new car, and a year of missed stories.
So glad you arrived and had such a wonderful day. Yann has already read the first posting. He gave me your address since I had apparently lost it.
ReplyDeleteLove the descriptions of your new home. Have a great weekend and, KEEP US POSTED. I love you, Mom