Surreal measures of time.
News is all over my Facebook feed and the television that Osama bin Laden is dead. I think probably this means less to the overall war effort than the news anchors are making it out to be, but I have the television on mute, and while I watch the footage of cheering crowds gathering in front of the White House, I'm thinking about how strange a creature time is.
I remember debating whether or not we should enter the war with my classmates in a middle school English class. I was the only one among the students to think that maybe war was a bad idea.
Facebook didn't exist yet, and neither did the iPhone I just texted my brother with. We just cracked open our first bottle of homebrew milk stout, and President Obama just addressed the nation -- who could have guessed he would have been elected?
It took ten years, but they found the figurehead everyone was hoping to topple from the beginning. And all I can think about is how weird it is to have seen ten years pass.
I remember debating whether or not we should enter the war with my classmates in a middle school English class. I was the only one among the students to think that maybe war was a bad idea.
Facebook didn't exist yet, and neither did the iPhone I just texted my brother with. We just cracked open our first bottle of homebrew milk stout, and President Obama just addressed the nation -- who could have guessed he would have been elected?
It took ten years, but they found the figurehead everyone was hoping to topple from the beginning. And all I can think about is how weird it is to have seen ten years pass.
Comments
Post a Comment