Yesterday, my grandmother died.
She loved chocolate, card games, and iced tea in Styrofoam cups. She liked tennis on TV in the summer, and float trips down the creek. She liked fifty-cent mysteries from the used bookstore and John Wayne movies whenever they were on. She liked email, and digital photos, and being able to print family pictures in her kitchen. She liked fruit salad and fried chicken and creamed corn. She liked saving money, and paying cash for things.
She was born on the last day of 1928, and lived through the stock market crash, the Great Depression, World War II, and other things that seem to me unimaginably long ago.
She started college at Oklahoma A&M (now OSU) but dropped out to get married. Much later, she would tell me never to change my plans for a man. For years, she volunteered one or two days a week to run a thrift store that benefited Domestic Violence Intervention Services.
She liked collecting old coins, and she sent me a two-dollar bill with every Christmas and birthday present. A few weeks ago, she sent me an envelope full of them. For future birthdays and Christmases, I suppose.


Thanks, Nanna. I miss you already.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm keeping you & your family in my thoughts. She sounds like a great lady!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year