Ryan Adams and the Shining, with Milky Chance and Craig Finn, at the Basilica Block Party, 7/9/16
![]() |
| The stage and the basilica, early in the day. |
I had never seen Ryan Adams live. During middle school, I spent a lot of time listening to Whiskeytown's Pneumonia and Adams' Gold in the car on my way to guitar lessons out in Sand Springs. I got really attached to those albums, but I never really explored his catalog any further. When I heard, the week of the festival, that Ryan Adams and Death Cab were headlining their respective nights, I decided to go. Game changer.
![]() |
| Craig Finn |
I stood there all day, front and center, on the rail. Milky Chance played next, and by this time I was pretty thirsty. They're a German duo with a weird folk/reggae/electronic mix going on, and had invited a friend along to do additional vocals and instruments, including a lot of harmonica.
![]() |
| Ryan and the unexpected weight of his new Les Paul |
The setlist covered the entirety of Adams' very productive solo career (sadly, no Whiskeytown
songs), from the Heartbreaker days through the self-titled. It all sounded great. Adams' backup band, The Shining, got together relatively recently, and all the guys seemed genuinely happy to be playing together. Mostly they just played, but there was some joking around, too. Adams said he'd been out around town that day and, while skateboarding near the venue, had come across a record store with a sign in the window reading "No Admittance for Ryan Adams, unless he's in a decent mood," which I thought was kind of amazing. He also had purchased a new Gibson Les Paul that day, which he was complaining was way too heavy to play for long. He said the other guitarist in
the band practically slept with his, and was bitter about his new acquisition. They were funny, without trying too hard and without talking too much.Highlights for me were "Oh, My Sweet Carolina" (one of my favorite songs of all time; see my recording below), "When the Stars Go Blue", and "Shakedown on 9th Street". The encore included "Come Pick Me Up".
After the show, I delved deep into the catalog. I listened to the self-titled album on repeat for days. I watched live concert clips and clips from late night television. I even bought the full album cover of Taylor Swift's 1989, which I liked quite a lot. That's the kind of inspiration I don't get from very many concerts anymore. Can't wait to catch another Ryan Adams show.



Comments
Post a Comment