Love Letter to Minnesota Winter

When I go outside, my face stings, until it goes numb. My lungs burn, and that never abates.

Inside, static electricity infuses everything and makes the cat distrust being touched. My skin gets dry. I get to choose between cracking hands and constantly applying a layer of grease to my entire body. My nose bleeds. I am disgusted by the smell of the blood, and the trickle of it in my throat.

Everything outside is colorless, except where it's dirty. The filth cakes everything and gets tracked into every building.

It's so cold that liquid freezes on the ground and never thaws. You can see every shiny patch where someone has spat, or vomited, or discarded their cold cup of gas station coffee. You can see every place a dog has pissed, yellow on white, for months.

The streets are dangerous and the sidewalks are worse. I can't walk without risking falling down. Every time I encounter a staircase I envision ways in which I can fall down and break my bones or shatter my teeth.

I am cold, constantly. It makes my muscles knot, my shoulders hunch. I grimace at everyone. I hate everything. I fear and loathe going outside.

Fuck you, winter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year