The Size of Things? Revisited.
I think I commented on this before, but the size of commercial goods in France is sort of strange to me. I know I come from America: Land Where Everything Is Bigger Than It Needs To Be, but I just can't get over it.
A two-liter bottle of Coke here, which is a pretty standard format in the States, is called either the "maxi" format or the "family size bottle".
My 300 mL bottle of shampoo is called the "giga size". I cannot, for the life of me, find a bigger bottle, and have to buy it with astonishing frequency. This wouldn't be too bad except that the largest bottle of accompanying conditioner is 2/3 the size.
They sell "maxi" sandwiches at the grocery store in little triangular-prism boxes that are about the size of your average sandwich-on-sliced-bread back home.
It is surprising to me, over and over. And it's not just commercial goods -- I'm apparently 2 and a half inches taller than the average height for males in this country, and 7 inches taller than the average height for women. I thought this was going to emphasize my point about how everything is smaller here until I read the American averages, which put me, by Wikipedia's estimation, exactly at the average male height and 6 inches over the female average, so I guess that's not that much different. Still tall. Hm.
A two-liter bottle of Coke here, which is a pretty standard format in the States, is called either the "maxi" format or the "family size bottle".
My 300 mL bottle of shampoo is called the "giga size". I cannot, for the life of me, find a bigger bottle, and have to buy it with astonishing frequency. This wouldn't be too bad except that the largest bottle of accompanying conditioner is 2/3 the size.
They sell "maxi" sandwiches at the grocery store in little triangular-prism boxes that are about the size of your average sandwich-on-sliced-bread back home.
It is surprising to me, over and over. And it's not just commercial goods -- I'm apparently 2 and a half inches taller than the average height for males in this country, and 7 inches taller than the average height for women. I thought this was going to emphasize my point about how everything is smaller here until I read the American averages, which put me, by Wikipedia's estimation, exactly at the average male height and 6 inches over the female average, so I guess that's not that much different. Still tall. Hm.
Comments
Post a Comment