Stress doesn't last long in this place.

I spent most of today reading my history textbook, trying to study for an exam that probably has very little to do with anything that the book has to say. We'll be given a text and asked to make a detailed outline of it, making a few points on no particular theme. This doesn't strike me as a very useful learning tool, and I'm kind of wondering what I'm going to say in the couple of hours we'll be given.

Then I realized that studying won't really do much, since I'll be given a work to analyze, and Amy and I went looking for piercing jewelry on Rue Ste. Catherine. We got dinner at a Thai restaurant, whose tom kha gai was lacking a certain amount of flavorfulness but which was, at least, better than the utter void of Thai food I've been living in. We headed over to the fair so Amy could experience pineapple-flavored cotton candy. I had a crepe with Grand Marnier, because it sounded good and because I was incredulous at the idea. It turned out to be a pretty awesome idea.

We rode this ride, like those carousel-y swings, but where the platform holding the swings was high up in the air and varied in height as we swung around the center column. It was very cold with the relative wind, as we'd left the house in the sunshine and hadn't brought any kind of jacket. We did this barefoot, which earned us some looks that clearly said "What are you thinking?", but then others started to join in. We're just that trendy.

It was a pretty lovely evening. But it's kind of demonstrative of how unable to be stressed out I am, here. This isn't a bad thing, for the moment. I just need to find some more fear of failure before I go back to the States. I think I've built this security blanket of "it's okay, I'm foreign" that won't be with me much longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year