The Tempest, the Apartment, and Poetry.
Apparently that tempest, which barely inconvenienced us in downtown Bordeaux, destroyed a lot of homes and lives and knocked out a lot of electricity elsewhere. Always important to look at things from other perspectives. Or maybe just read the news, which I am notoriously bad at. I just tend to really hate the news, though I occasionally do like to know what's going on. This is a really silly contradiction, but I live with it.
Last night, one of our roommates moved out, and we spent the rest of the night cleaning up the apartment. I got my room organized and we bought a new shower curtain. I wish I had more interesting things to report on that front, but I really don't.
Tonight, I must read The Illuminations in its entirety. I was supposed to have done this before, but it's daunting with all of its vocabulary I've never seen. I think I'm reading more of my translation dictionary than Rimbaud, at this point. I tell myself I'm learning things, but in reality if I tried to use most of these words I would come across as either pompous or completely unaware of how outdated I'd sound.
I'm trying to be less daunted and more enthused. It's hard to do when my desk is so cluttered. I have, delightfully, been receiving a lot of letters lately. Less good is that I ran out of push pins to hang them on the Wall of Received Things and have, instead, just cluttered my work space with them. I find I am almost entirely unable to work when I combine the distractions of the Internet with a cluttered workspace.
I think I should set about solving this problem.
Last night, one of our roommates moved out, and we spent the rest of the night cleaning up the apartment. I got my room organized and we bought a new shower curtain. I wish I had more interesting things to report on that front, but I really don't.
Tonight, I must read The Illuminations in its entirety. I was supposed to have done this before, but it's daunting with all of its vocabulary I've never seen. I think I'm reading more of my translation dictionary than Rimbaud, at this point. I tell myself I'm learning things, but in reality if I tried to use most of these words I would come across as either pompous or completely unaware of how outdated I'd sound.
I'm trying to be less daunted and more enthused. It's hard to do when my desk is so cluttered. I have, delightfully, been receiving a lot of letters lately. Less good is that I ran out of push pins to hang them on the Wall of Received Things and have, instead, just cluttered my work space with them. I find I am almost entirely unable to work when I combine the distractions of the Internet with a cluttered workspace.
I think I should set about solving this problem.
Comments
Post a Comment