Bureaucracy Strikes Again

Today I left the apartment with the full intention of finally completing my administrative enrollment and getting my student ID card made before I leave town this weekend. So, I hopped on the tram in time to get there about 30 minutes after the office workers were supposed to come back from lunch -- I figured I'd give them some time to NOT be back when they were expected...since that seems to be what's expected.

And, of course, the tram service was "interrupted", since it so often seems to be, a few stops from my apartment, for a "suspicious package". At least, that's what I translated it as -- I hope I was correct. I guess it was a terrorist scare. Anyway, we had to disembark, and we walked what google tells me was 2.3 km to school, on the way passing the "suspicious package" which was completely invisible, but roped off and sort of swarming with police who only seemed to be keeping foot traffic away, and not really looking at the problem at all.

I finally got to school and went back to the lady that usually helps me at International Relations, only to be told I should go to the other office, which until now has always been closed, with workers trying to hide behind their desks and the locked door while students stare wistfully inside. It was open this time, and I got in line, where I talked to two Irish students for about twenty minutes before one of the desks opened up, and I felt the brief thrill of near-victory.

Right up until the lady tells me that the "computers just don't want to work anymore today, come back tomorrow". This was the first time I complained. I told her I'd been trying to get my student ID for the last four weeks, and that every time I come to the school someone tells me to come back later...she just kind of shrugged and repeated that I should come back tomorrow.

And so I went home, since the tram had started working again. Discouraged. Disgruntled. And definitely without a student card.

Maria and I went to Auchan, with the dual purposes of trying to get someone to look at our washing machine and getting groceries. Alas, days of procrastinating a phone conversation turned into the Auchan people giving us a phone number to call. We did get groceries, and cooked some teriyaki chicken for dinner.

I went to see District 9 dubbed in French, and really enjoyed the first half. The second half seemed to fall apart plot-wise -- and with regard to character-motivation, I guess -- but I enjoyed it. I think seeing it in French probably added something. Before I moved here I'd never seen a movie in French without subtitles before, so I'm glad that's working out. I don't know what I'd do, otherwise. Probably come back to the US feeling like I'd lived under a rock for a year. Which still might happen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year