Forgetful
I think I forgot to mention the best thing about Tuesday, and that was that, on the way home from the university, Alex and I got off at a random tram stop and looked for some food. We ended up stopping at a kebab place called Chez Abidine, where we sort of made friends with the two employees there. One of them had spent about ten years in California and so spoke good English, and the other spoke no English at all. So we all conversed back and forth in both languages, and in the end they gave us a discount on our food, and punchcards (cartes de fidélité in France) with more punches than we deserved. They told us to come back soon and they'd make us tea.
It was sort of the first time that anyone who lives here in Bordeaux (aside from Bernadette, who Alex still hasn't met) has even tried to have a conversation with us, so it was nice that they were so friendly. It gives me hope for actually establishing relationships with people, once we start school and come into contact with people for longer than it takes to order a sandwich.
This afternoon I went out in search of food and bought a sandwich. I've been living on the jambon emmental, which is a sandwich with ham and emmental cheese. Anyway, as I started walking back it rained a little. When I got back to the house, it smelled like clean laundry because of my sheets drying in the living room. It was a really good series of sensations.
Anyway, Maria is coming to the apartment in around half an hour, if her estimate was right. Should be interesting!
It was sort of the first time that anyone who lives here in Bordeaux (aside from Bernadette, who Alex still hasn't met) has even tried to have a conversation with us, so it was nice that they were so friendly. It gives me hope for actually establishing relationships with people, once we start school and come into contact with people for longer than it takes to order a sandwich.
This afternoon I went out in search of food and bought a sandwich. I've been living on the jambon emmental, which is a sandwich with ham and emmental cheese. Anyway, as I started walking back it rained a little. When I got back to the house, it smelled like clean laundry because of my sheets drying in the living room. It was a really good series of sensations.
Anyway, Maria is coming to the apartment in around half an hour, if her estimate was right. Should be interesting!
Perfect! You love a rainy day. One with the fresh smell of sheets is great.
ReplyDeleteHome from our going away party at the Tiernans. It made be cry. Dr. Witt says "hello". So did Jan Walker. Love, MOM