Thursday, and life is a lot better
I woke up today feeling a lot better. I have a lot more energy and I can breathe -- probably this is the result of my finally having started the pack of antibiotics I brought to France for just such an occasion. I was kind of loath to use them, since now that they've been consumed I don't really know how to get more.
I guess the important thing is that I'm better. Maria and I went to the university this afternoon to get the results of our placement test, and we both placed into the highest level of French as a second language. We both prefer to take real classes for French people, so we went to the office of international relations to ask them what to do, and found an uncommonly helpful person in the office, who told us some things. We can't do anything until Monday, but starting then things can begin to happen. In theory.
I have to present proof of health insurance to get a student ID, and I can pick classes online at a website she showed me. Apparently we just show up to class when it starts -- in mid-October, what are we going to do until then?! -- and after the first week or so of class we enroll. I guess that's one way to avoid the chaos of add/drop, but it seems very foreign to me.
I'm relieved to at least have chosen a direction and vaguely know in which direction to proceed. It helps that yesterday I finally got a French phone, which isn't all that important practically, but signifies that I have accomplished at least one of my goals -- and makes it easier to get in contact with any hypothetical friends I might make in the near future.
Tomorrow I will undertake the bank adventure, I guess, because I need to get insurance for my apartment and LCL sells it to student account holders for 1 euro per year. It seems a lot less necessary than it did, when I thought I needed a bank account to get a phone, but I guess I still have to.
Hopefully I'll have more interesting things to say, soon. I imagine I'll be having more fun now that I'm not sick.
I guess the important thing is that I'm better. Maria and I went to the university this afternoon to get the results of our placement test, and we both placed into the highest level of French as a second language. We both prefer to take real classes for French people, so we went to the office of international relations to ask them what to do, and found an uncommonly helpful person in the office, who told us some things. We can't do anything until Monday, but starting then things can begin to happen. In theory.
I have to present proof of health insurance to get a student ID, and I can pick classes online at a website she showed me. Apparently we just show up to class when it starts -- in mid-October, what are we going to do until then?! -- and after the first week or so of class we enroll. I guess that's one way to avoid the chaos of add/drop, but it seems very foreign to me.
I'm relieved to at least have chosen a direction and vaguely know in which direction to proceed. It helps that yesterday I finally got a French phone, which isn't all that important practically, but signifies that I have accomplished at least one of my goals -- and makes it easier to get in contact with any hypothetical friends I might make in the near future.
Tomorrow I will undertake the bank adventure, I guess, because I need to get insurance for my apartment and LCL sells it to student account holders for 1 euro per year. It seems a lot less necessary than it did, when I thought I needed a bank account to get a phone, but I guess I still have to.
Hopefully I'll have more interesting things to say, soon. I imagine I'll be having more fun now that I'm not sick.
Comments
Post a Comment