Reading
Yesterday I went to a really cool book store called Mollat, where I found a lot of interesting but inexpensive books. I ended up buying Le Petit Prince, just because I had started it in high school but not been allowed to finish it. I also bought Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du mal, and also Une saison en enfer and Illuminations by Rimbaud, plus an anthology of Verlaine. I figure there's not a better time to sit around reading French poetry than now, as the weather gets steadily more rainy and less warm.
It's already proving excellent for my vocabulary.
As for Le Petit Prince, that's just cute, and full of life advice.
I think I got four books for 11 euros. Excellent.
It's already proving excellent for my vocabulary.
As for Le Petit Prince, that's just cute, and full of life advice.
I think I got four books for 11 euros. Excellent.
how Romantic! French poetry in the damp raininess! This is also a good time for cabbage soup. Music that I recommend for that: Jein by Fettes Brot
ReplyDeleteBoil up some tiny potatoes (or large potatoes cut into chunks) in chicken broth. Meanwhile, heat up some olive oil in another pan. Add lots of garlic to the olive oil, then toss in some kale. Cook until a little wilted. Then, once the potatoes are tender, toss some shredded cabbage, the kale, a can or two of white beans, into the broth and potato mixture. Add a bay leaf and some more chicken broth. Cook until the cabbage is tender. If you wish you can cut sausage of some kind (like andouie (I know that's probably misspelled, bear with me here) into rounds, and then crisp up the outsides of it in a frying pan before adding it to the soup.
Top with parmesean cheese.
Other good cold weather dishes:
Morrocan Lamb Stew
Shepherd's Pie (can be made meatless!)
The Little Prince is one of my favorite books. I love bookstores. Shanna and I have decided to open a library/pie shop/bookstore/bar. It's a place to drink and read and eat pie! Can't beat that.