Small adventures

I just got back from a belated excursion to get food. There's this cultural difference between France and the US that I still can't get used to. You know that time of day when, in the US, only those privileged enough to have stable, 9-5 jobs get to go home for the day? Yeah, everyone gets off of work at that time in France. The strange thing is that, except for the nicer restaurants, which are open later because people seem to eat dinner around 7 and for a couple of hours, only businesses owned by foreigners are open at night. You can always find kebab in this city -- always. And almost always a conversation with the clerk about the oddities of moving to a foreign country while your fries are cooking.

Anyway, so I was looking for somewhere that was still open and would sell me a sandwich of some kind, when I finally came across a place. They were pretty well out of sandwiches, as it was very near to closing time, so I picked one that kind of looked like egg salad, even though that didn't sound like a really great idea. It was in fact nothing like egg salad -- it was a sandwich on a baguette consisting of artificial crab (the internet says it's made of white fish), slices of hard boiled eggs, lettuce, tomato, and horseradish sauce. It was one of the most confusing things I've eaten in a while. I can't say I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't terrible. I'm trying to be more adventurous with eating things. A few days ago we went to a pizza parlor for lunch and Maria had me try capiaccio -- who knew I would be able to bring myself to eat raw beef? It wasn't bad, but I was a little too squeamish to really enjoy it I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year