All the best intentions

Even though last night was Friday, we were all pretty exhausted from the week. Alex is sick, and he's been sort of on and off as far as how well he feels from hour to hour. He wanted some rest, and having been up until 5 something the night before, I was inclined to agree.

But Maria and I went out to buy her some ciagrettes and ended up getting them at the bar downstairs because all the shops are closed by 9, and that was about when we left. We ended up meeting some really nice people there who invited us to go with them to the rum bar at Place de la Victoire, which is apparently the cool place to be at night in Bordeaux. I hadn't noticed this particular place because it isn't right on the square, but maybe a block down a side street.

So after my initial confusion (I thought I understood "rum bar" but the reality of such a place wasn't with me so I assumed I was misunderstanding), we walked over that way. Place de la Victoire is two tram stops away on the way to the university and maybe ten or fifteen minutes by foot. It's not far at all. The moon was full last night and the weather feels like the middle of fall in Oklahoma. The few trees downtown have yet to change colors though so maybe it's just normally this chilly?

Anyway, the rum bar turned out to be themed like you would imagine it would look below decks a pirate ship. It was truly cool. The walls and ceiling and floor were all wood and there were barrels for tables and swings hung from the ceiling for sitting at the bar. They had different flavors of rum being dispensed from glass flasks hung in netting behind the bar, and the longer we were there, the more crowded it got. There were only two toilets, one for men and one for women - which seems to be the standard, even when there are so many people that a US firemarshall might have an apoplectic fit.

The guys we were with were really friendly, and all from different places. There were two from Bordeaux, I think, but one was visiting from Paris, and two were from Guadeloupe. We spoke mostly French except when they wanted to know a word or when we looked confused enough, I guess. Except Xavier, who wanted to learn to speak English better. With him, I'd speak in French and he'd respond in English, and we'd both sort of try to help the other one along. It's weird, this learning a language business.

I'm glad we seem to be making friends. Hopefully we'll see that crowd again, they were a lot of fun to be around. Today is one of the world cup qualifying rounds starting at 4 pm, but France doesn't play until 9. I kind of want to watch a lot of soccer today.

Comments

  1. Hope everyone is feeling better today? When I spoke with you by phone (Sunday at 6:00 p.m.) YOU were ill. If they are still smoking INSIDE the bars in France, you are probably suffering the symptoms of the allergies. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Year in Review

2022 in Concerts

What I Read This Year