Flags and Flies
This morning I woke up to find that the hall of records across from our apartment was, for once, flying a French flag. One of the things that is a little strange about living here is that I really only see flags on official buildings. People don't hang flags in front of their businesses, schools, or homes like they tend to in the States. I'm not sure whether that makes any kind of meaningful statement about patriotism or not.
The other thing about the flags here is that they seem to be a lot thinner than we make them. I think the photo sort of illustrates that well -- all the flags are transparent.
Yesterday, my roommate Alex turned 22. We went out to a really nice Indian restaurant not far from our place, and had some korma lamb, some chicken vindaloo, a vegetable I can't remember the name of, some rice, some naan, and a tasty bottle of Bordeaux. It was really my second time to go out and have a sit-down meal since getting here, and the first was pizza with Maria's family.

Anyway, on the way to the restaurant I passed a florist with cheap, adorable venus fly traps for sale, and I bought one. I miss growing things in my apartment, and we sort of hope it might control our mosquito problem a little bit. I guess not having screens on the windows or air conditioning tends to lend itself to getting bugs in the house. I'm not super hopeful about the plant's mosquito-controlling though, since mosquitoes tend to hunt by looking for carbon dioxide. Who knows.
This afternoon, Alex and I went to the SNCF store and arranged for train tickets to Amsterdam for next weekend. It was sort of amusing to finally have the travel agent conversation straight out of my French textbook. I can't say I handled it as well as I maybe should have, considering I've probably studied it at least three times. Alas.
Anyway, I've never been to Amsterdam, but I've heard the city is beautiful, and it's one of the many places on my list to see. We shall see.
The other thing about the flags here is that they seem to be a lot thinner than we make them. I think the photo sort of illustrates that well -- all the flags are transparent.
Yesterday, my roommate Alex turned 22. We went out to a really nice Indian restaurant not far from our place, and had some korma lamb, some chicken vindaloo, a vegetable I can't remember the name of, some rice, some naan, and a tasty bottle of Bordeaux. It was really my second time to go out and have a sit-down meal since getting here, and the first was pizza with Maria's family.
Anyway, on the way to the restaurant I passed a florist with cheap, adorable venus fly traps for sale, and I bought one. I miss growing things in my apartment, and we sort of hope it might control our mosquito problem a little bit. I guess not having screens on the windows or air conditioning tends to lend itself to getting bugs in the house. I'm not super hopeful about the plant's mosquito-controlling though, since mosquitoes tend to hunt by looking for carbon dioxide. Who knows.
This afternoon, Alex and I went to the SNCF store and arranged for train tickets to Amsterdam for next weekend. It was sort of amusing to finally have the travel agent conversation straight out of my French textbook. I can't say I handled it as well as I maybe should have, considering I've probably studied it at least three times. Alas.
Anyway, I've never been to Amsterdam, but I've heard the city is beautiful, and it's one of the many places on my list to see. We shall see.
I am so envious. Amsterdam should be beautiful this time of year?
ReplyDeleteThe problem with venus flytraps is the smell of the rotting bugs, as they are being digested. Hopefully, the plant works for you. Are you going to name it Audrey II?
ReplyDeleteSorry you missed all the t-storms Monday, I know you would have enjoyed them!